Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Can you guess what mixing is???

look, i don't want to be redundant here, but come on.

i know, you will accuse me of being stuck in a blog rut here, but mixing is killing me, slowly but surely.

check out this guy - i have no idea who this guy is, but see how much fun he's having? yeah. that's not reality.
here is what mixing is to me - start at 9:30/10am or so, work for 3 hours until i think things are sounding good. put the mix on cd. go out to the car for the drive to get lunch. check the mix. have ego beaten down by car stereo. drive back to studio while considering other career options. eat. work on mix more. work on mix even more. print mix thinking it sounds great. start cleaning up tomorrow's mix. close things up. drive home listening to mix. consider driving into oncoming traffic due to how bad the mix sounds. repeat.

believe me, i work really hard on these mixes. and i must say that people tell me they like my mixes and many have been very complimentary. also, i will say that there have been occasions where ive been satisfied with mixes.

this week has not seen any of those occasions however. MIXING IS SOOOO BORING!

3 comments:

Clarke said...

I feel your pain Scott.....but hey at least your not mixing some of the crap that I get to record. You know...the "I can't afford Wiley, so what can you do for $500" bands.
...or here's another option.....just strap your barefoot mm27's to your car......then you will never have to know how your mixes translate.
-CJ

Dustin Christensen said...

dude, its obviously the pencil behind the ear. I'd even go a step ahead and hust start mixing with a paint brush or pixie sticks. That will livin things up a bit

You can thank me later

DAREN said...

Scott, I just stumbled upon your blog, and it gave me a good laugh which was desperately needed after my short stint in the stake singles ward...nuff said.

Look forward to reading more about your "slow transformation..."